Position: Diesel/Automotive Mechanic
Directly Reports To: Track Maintenance Manager
Maintains diesel/automobile equipment operation by completing inspections and preventive maintenance requirements; correcting vehicle deficiencies; making adjustments and alignments; keeping records. Maintains service operations by inspecting and maintaining vehicles.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Determines vehicle condition by conducting inspections and diagnostic tests, identifying worn and damaged parts.
- Keeps equipment available for use by completing preventive maintenance schedules; installing component and part upgrades; controlling corrosion; completing winterization procedures.
- Keeps equipment available for use by inspecting and testing vehicles; completing preventive maintenance such as engine tune-ups, oil changes, tire rotation and changes, wheel balancing, and replacing filters.
- Maintains vehicle functional condition by listening to operator complaints; conducting inspections; repairing engine failures; repairing mechanical and electrical systems malfunctions; replacing parts and components; repairing body damage.
- Corrects vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems, such as power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; completes machine shop operations; making adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units.
- Verifies vehicle performance by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Complies with federal and state vehicle requirements by testing engine, safety, and combustion control standards.
- Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
- Maintains vehicle records by annotating services and repairs.
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Contains costs by using warranty; evaluates service and parts options.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock, placing orders, and verifying receipts.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical and regulation publications.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Lifting, Energy Level, Dependability, Persistence, Time Management, Attendance, Independence, Safety Management, Problem Solving, Dealing with Complexity, Analyzing Information and 5 years combined experience diesel/automotive certs.